Zenith C730 “The Super Serenade” 1958
AM/FM table top radio.
This one works….has a phone jack.
I am not going to update or rebuild this one. it works as is.
Zenith 7G01 AM/FM table top radio
manufactured in early 1950’s with a bakelite case.
Found at Dupage county flea market, for $15
Don’t know if it works, it does need some polish and replacement pointers for the station, and some new paint for the station numbers.
It has been awhile since I have had a chance to post and update this blog, and it is my goal this year to update this blog regularly. Since I do pay for the domain and other costs associated with it.
A lot has happened since my last posts.
So now I am better, and since this is a new year, I will try to do my best to post some of my best Beer recipes, my projects and just some random stuff about cats or something.
Thanks for visiting and click on an ad, so i can make some money please 🙂
Sorry for the inconsistent posts, but family life and not having a place to work has kept me from quite a few projects. But lately I have been brewing beer at home as a hobby to keep me from going crazy with a house full of girls..(I’m the only male other then our cat).
My latest brew was a first for me, it was an 5 gal all grain stout, with my own recipe. You can find my recipe here (insert link here).
sorry for the look and the missing pictures. but they will be coming soon.
slowly getting things up and running….. i now should be saving about $100+ a year since leaving godaddy.
I have left them since they keep upping there price for renewals and hosting.
I am sorry in this day in age, $20 a year is sorta of unreasonable, when i can get it for $12 and dont have to pay extra for private registration.
Good by godaddy, you won’t be missed.
First Part of the restoration process has been completed for this classic AM radio. All pieces have been removed from the case, including the grill clothe and plastic dial cover. So far I have put in about 4 hours to get to this point over the past few weeks to take apart, sand and order parts and supplies.
Cost so far has been —
Decal – $6.95
parts + S&H ~$27.00
total so far $42.95
still need the wood stain, polyurethane, white latex/oil paint, and brushes, also any other components that need replacing.
Parts ordered from mouser, BOM-philco-48-214 (spreadsheet).
Decal ordered from Vintage Radio Labels.
Sandpaper was bought at Meijer.
circuit diagram and repair guide from Nostalgia Air.
Next steps, re-cap the radio, stain, sand, paint and coat the case, find a suitable grill cloth, since the one that it came with is a little stretched because someone, decided to poke it too hard.
So far so good.
Hello, been awhile.
I finally have some time to work on projects, and this one can be incremental where I can put 5 mins here, or 10 mins there to work on this. My goal is to restore this radio to working condition, replace all the old capacitors, refinish the wooden cabinet, and replace the speaker clothe.
I have already started to strip and sand the cabinet, and I have found decals to replace the Philco Transitone decal that’s on the front.
So far I am really looking forward to finish this by Christmas.
My freind Jason came to me one day and pointed out a $70 hydroponics kit that used some buckets and a pump. He thought it was pretty cool, so I said “I can make you one for a quarter of the price” and so the challenge was accepted.
This is the story of me building my first hydroponics system.
When researching on what was needed and how much everyone was charging, thought this was a piece of cake! And it was!!
So to get started you will need a few things……. and prices I paid
5Gal bucket with lid. $2 from Firehouse subs
submersible pump. $14.95 + free shipping
Tubing. $2.50 for 10ft at Homedepot
Growing medium. (i used Fish tank gravel, but rock wool or ceramic pelets or what ever you think is a good growing medium….its up to you) $free
basket (hydroponic growing basket) or a plastic flower pot. $3.00 from meijer
Airpump (optional). $8.00 from meijer
Total = ~$25.00
My design was simple compared to his setup, but he wanted to grow strawberries so he made one that was vertical. His was a little more expensive and requires a little more work, but well worth it. (pics of his at the end of the Post).
To build this little fun project, you need to drill some holes in the side of the bucket, as close to the top as possible…….if you drill them too low you will spill water when trying to move it.
2x 1.5 in holes, one for the water tube, the other for the power cord
1x .5 in hole for the airation tube (optional)
and 1 large hole on the lid for your basket or baskets….(depending on how many you want to fit on top of it)
the rest is just fitting everything in the bucket and making sure the water does not collect in the basket.
The pump I selected
You will need some fertilizer. I bought this from amazon.com for about ~$20 and depending on your setup, this should last you along time. Just make sure you follow the ratios and using less then what is recommended, because you don’t want to kill off your plants when first starting.
Box of the plant that I bought on clearance from Meijer for $2.50
Now some ideas to make your own…… here is one that i helped my friend with.
As this plant gets bigger and I find out more about hydroponics I will have more posts and updates.