I was trolling through the internet and found this little application, Server2go , So i decided to look into it.
the software contains a great list of features that any web devolper needs for presenting there app to clients, there are many other great uses for this product, to many to list.
- Complete WAMPP Server-Stack
- Runs directly from CD-ROM, USB Stick or Hard disk without installation
- Full featured webserver (based on apache)
- PHP 5.x support with many extensions installed (e.g. gd)
- Supports SQLite databases
- Runs on all versions of Windows from Win 98 and above, MAC OSX support is coming
- Support for MySQL 5 Databases
- Supports many PHP extensions (GD-Lib, PDO…) by default
- Support for Perl 5.8
It pretty much turns any PC into a devolopement enviroment or a portible application that can be run on almost any windows based PC.
So after loading it up onto my USB drive unpluging it and plugging it back in, it started the server2go.exe and started apache without an error, no configuration of the server except the simple ini file to tweak the behaviour of the servers that are avaible.
Next i started up phpmyadmin and loaded up an old test DB with the PHP app to go with it, so far so good, DB loaded up and worked great, was able to connect to mysql with the mysql client as well. After that I used the browser that opend up with the server2go app and there was my PHP web app sitting there waiting to be tested, This app is a simple login to test DB connections. It worked with out error and so far the PHP is working great with out any PEAR errors or missconfiguration………
This is definitly being added to my tools, it may even have the ability to be a portable webserver on any home network, or even an application server for those with home business that need a simple CRM like “simple customer”.