• Category Archives electronics
  • Philco 48-214 Part 1

    First Part of the restoration process has been completed for this classic AM radio. All pieces have been removed from the case, including the grill clothe and plastic dial cover. So far I have put in about 4 hours to get to this point over the past few weeks to take apart, sand and order parts and supplies.

    Cost so far has been —

    Decal – $6.95

    parts + S&H ~$27.00

    sandpaper ~$9.00

    —————————–

    total so far $42.95

     

    still need the wood stain, polyurethane, white latex/oil paint, and brushes, also any other components that need replacing.

     

    Parts ordered from mouser, BOM-philco-48-214 (spreadsheet).

    Decal ordered from Vintage Radio Labels.

    Sandpaper was bought at Meijer.

    circuit diagram and repair guide from Nostalgia Air.

     

    wpid-2014-11-08-20.21.08.jpg.jpeg

    wpid-2014-11-08-20.22.09.jpg.jpeg

     

    Next steps, re-cap the radio, stain, sand, paint and coat the case, find a suitable grill cloth, since the one that it came with is a little stretched because someone, decided to poke it too hard.

    So far so good.


  • Winter project Philco 48-214 AM Tube Radio

    Hello, been awhile.
    I finally have some time to work on projects, and this one can be incremental where I can put 5 mins here, or 10 mins there to work on this. My goal is to restore this radio to working condition, replace all the old capacitors, refinish the wooden cabinet, and replace the speaker clothe.

    I have already started to strip and sand the cabinet, and I have found decals to replace the Philco Transitone decal that’s on the front.

    So far I am really looking forward to finish this by Christmas.


  • RFID + Back door = Easy Access

    Lately I have been lazy about getting into my home, early in the morning I dislike rummaging through my pockets to get out my keys just to go through 2 doors just to get in and sit down.  So I fixed this issue by making my patio door RFID accessible. With a few parts on hand and a whole bunch of time, I made a “patio un-locker”, because it only unlocks the patio door but does not lock it.

    Continue reading  Post ID 1721


  • micro heli hack failed

    I have a few brocken micro helicopters lying around and deciced.to try a quick experiment.
    I removed the tail rotor and electronics and connected the 2 main rotors together, by a piece of meral coat hanger.

    image

    image

    What I forgot was, you need to have one of the rotors going the oposite direction to counter the rotation of the other one.

    Failed but learned something. Back to the idea bin…..maybe I will create some fancy paper airplane.


  • Oscilloscope calibration, what a pain

    Awhile back, I had recieved an oscilloscope from someone. a Conar model 255 solid state oscilloscope. 

    image

    It worked ok but I couldnt trust the readings from it or even the voltages it displayed. I could get basic wave forms displayed and thats all I really needed it for. As time went on it started acting up. Certain setings would not display, simple sqaure waves had major overshoot …… I could go on with so many of the issues that started to appear. So today I sat down and did the calibration from the manual. What a pain.

    total time spent on it was about an hour and I did the best I could.
    I still need need to buy 2x LM733 and a 741 or a better drop in replacement, also a few capacitors and transistors. But those will have to wait till I am employed again.

    here are a few pics of the internals

    image

    image

    image


  • VS 2121 Autopsy

    I was given an Altec Lansing VS2121 powered speaker sytem that was going bad. And I wanted to recycle some of the parts out of it. What I found inside was quite interesting.

    image

    image

    Here is what I found,
    2 x lm324 quad op amp from st
    2 x tfa9842j single chip 2 channel amp
    and a whole bunch of passive through hole parts (caps, resistors) .
    It is a very simple design. Now I have some decent op amps and a decent size transformer (120v to 15.3v 1.6A) with a nice particle board box.

    Time to start thinking of what I can remake this into.
    Happy Hacking!


  • Experiments in Home Audio (lm386)

    I really needed a quick amplifier to power a few book shelf speakers. Looking around my ic bin, I found a few lm386s.
    Next I pulled the rest of the parts (1x perf board,  2x ic sockets,  2x 100uf caps, 2x 5k pots,  some wires,  and a few odds and ends) 

    Put all this in a blender, bake for few hours and this is what you get.

    image

    image

    image

    The results are,  its not  a bad sound. some noticeable distortion at higher levels. More improvements can be made, like changing the output caps to bigger ones,  adding a gain selector….etc.
    But what I have now works. Next a class A amp and other projects.