• Category Archives fail
  • Pile of crap, or how I plan to start updating again.

    Ok I am really sorry for the lack of updates. I lots of progress and projects to post about but in OCT,  I had some crap piled on top of me.

    I have f5510 usb stuff, a ultrasonic distance sensor like ping thats nearly done. some cool project boxes that I sprused up, new LFS builds and fixes that I have done.
    custom battery for my heli,  I’m sure I have forgotten a few……also I am super excited I have new happy hardcore vinyl!!
    but lets not forget my plant hacks and a very quick ultrasonic cleaner that i needed for my ecig stuff.

    so lots to come in the next month!
    Continue reading  Post ID 1443


  • micro heli hack failed

    I have a few brocken micro helicopters lying around and deciced.to try a quick experiment.
    I removed the tail rotor and electronics and connected the 2 main rotors together, by a piece of meral coat hanger.

    image

    image

    What I forgot was, you need to have one of the rotors going the oposite direction to counter the rotation of the other one.

    Failed but learned something. Back to the idea bin…..maybe I will create some fancy paper airplane.


  • Things I forget to do!! lol part 2

    As i was testing my battery with my helicopter, this is not going to be the battery i use, It is a 7.2v 2A Nimh battery pack that i had acquired, as i was putting stuff together and testing my servos, I also wanted to do a quick battery test, so i rigged everything up like it supposed to, i also created a quick motor test on mbed.org to program the uC and get the servos at 90o and get the blades leveled so i can do the motor test.
    servos work great with this setup, that test is done, went with out a problem. next was the motor test, so i removed the blades to protect me and the wires. Then i hooked everything up. checked the motor, and the battery connection, perfect no problems. next i hook up the uC control lines and ground (I learned 🙂 ). or so what i thought was ground. so i power every thing up. nothing goes, check the battery and all the power, looks good. next i remove the control lines.(or so i thought) checked the voltage from the pwm line, about 3v, looks good. so i use the control line that was being used for the main rotor and hooked it up to 5v nothing happened, so i thought ok maybe my gate voltage wants high enough, (last time it was 5v source and 5v gate and it worked) so i get the brilliant idea of trying to hook it up to one of the power line, a full 7.2v (8.5v fully charged) thinking that should be enough power to get it going ………………guess what ……………
    Continue reading  Post ID 1443


  • Things I forget to do!! lol

    Have you ever worked on a project or tried to trouble shoot some sort of complex technical thingy and cant figure out why its not working like it should? If your reading this most of us have some sort of problem like this. Recently I have been working on trying to get my NXP Mbed Challenge up and running and working on the last few hardware requirements. This last week i have been trying to get my servos and motors working together and have started to make some good progress. until i hooked up power. Servos would not move nor did they seem like they were even powered……double checked them with an arduino and they worked. So i put it all back together and tried again, still no movement from the servos, now i start all over again with the trouble shooting, I did this about 3 times tracing out all the wires, doing electrical conductivity tests, the whole 9 yards. After a few hours and a day of rest i went back to it………
    re-connected everything back up and tried again…………And this is what I concluded ……

    Continue reading  Post ID 1443


  • MSP430: what doesnt work…….

    This will be an on going post that will be constantly updated on what doesn’t work when coding for the msp430…….yes this will feature my failings lol.
    so for the first Failure……

    Project: RGB led fade to different colors with a ~4 hour timer
    This fail is a test program that i had created to test the software PWM using WDT+ and interrupts.
    CCFLAGS = -mendup-at=main
    -mendup-at=”function”—when main ends, it usually goes to stop program execution, but you can make it jump back to main when main exits. pretty much sets it up as a never ending loop. great if main is supposed to never exit or return.
    Code:

    #include<msp430x20x2.h>
    #include<signal.h> //interrupt SR
    volatile unsigned int timer1 = 0;
    void main(void) {
    WDTCTL = WDT_MDLY_32;
    P1DIR |= BIT0+BIT6;
    IE1 |= WDTIE;
    if (timer1==126) {
    timer1 = 0;
    P1OUT ^= BIT6;
    }//end if
    _BIS_SR(LPM0+GIE);
    }//end main
    interrupt(WDT_VECTOR) watch_dog_timer(void)
    {
    ++timer1;
    P1DIR ^= BIT0;
    } //end interrupt

    what it was supposed to do is cycle through the program, when the WDT causes an interrupt the timer is supposed to increment
    then once the timer reaches 126 it resets and toggles P1.6(green LED on launchpad)

    what it did is loop through, never servicing an interrupt, and looped with out doing anything……well almost nothing, timer1 never incremented but the main loop did compare timer1 to 126.
    for some reason the interrupt never gets serviced because it goes back to main and clears the WDT timer count, so then it runs it runs so quick that the interrupt that’s sitting there clears when it goes back to main…..
    Cause: my theory says my code maybe too short for it to call the interrupt fully.
    When i step through it the interrupt flags never get called, and before you know it the whole thing starts over again.
    Fix: none as of yet still testing

    Continue reading  Post ID 1443